The Dining Room

It’s been an exhausting week at our house, I really thought we beat the flu everyone seemed to be getting but one by one we all got it (in a major way) including my 4 month year old.  Any guesses who was the biggest baby??   Any guesses who jumped back the quickest??  Lets just say daddy could learn some manly tips from the baby!

We are finally feeling at least among the living and I’m excited that I’m going out to dinner tonight with just my husband.  I think this may be our first official date since Cooper was born.

I probably should cook dinner and stay home and entertain in the newly finished dining room but cooking doesn’t seem much like a Valentine’s Day for me!

Truth…we don’t use this room as much as we should and maybe I should’ve done something like this or this but I just can’t seem to let go of liking the fact I have a dining room even if we only use it once or twice a year.

When we moved into our house a few years ago one of the first things we had to buy was a table and chairs because we were hosting Thanksgiving.  My husband’s only direction for the room was he did not want to spend thousands on the table and chairs.

So this is what I found at a thrift store.  I think I spent about $150.oo for the buffet, table and 4 chairs.  (Good lines but ugly!)

Not much decorating happened before our first holiday but I did manage to paint the furniture.

Sadly the room stayed that way for awhile too because I got busy decorating the more used areas in the house.  I finally decided to finish the room up this year and here is what it currently looks like.

Amazing what a few rugs and pillows and curtains will do right?

I had a window seat professionally upholstered in the same fabric as I recovered the dining room chairs.   Then I added pillows from Target, Pier One and ZGallerie.  The curtains are actually store bought curtains from Target that I customized and lengthened.  (Separate post to follow.)

I think it’s important to add elements that mean something and these wine stoppers mean a lot to me.  My daughter’s godparents buy us a new one each year for Christmas and at this point I’d be totally p’od if I didn’t get one!

Adding textures like the runner from Pottery Barn and the plants makes the space seem less stuffy and a little more casual.  The board and batten also makes the room seem less stuff but it also gives it an architectural element which is important in this new house that generally has none.

Fun pieces like the moose (from my husband) and the elephants makes the space a little more fun and not so serious.  I also painted the cabinet backs green to make my pieces pop a bit more.

The chandelier is from West Elm and so is the large wicker plate (is that what it is??).  As you can see I took the window treatments all the way to the ceiling.

Now all I have to do is wait to Thanksgiving!!  Kidding, I’m thinking a party is going to have to be happening soon so I can test the new space out!

Share Button
Posted in Projects | Tagged , , , .
ZZZZZ

Responses to The Dining Room

1. Pingback: Hookin Up with HoH #136

2. Luisa says:

Looks great! Now take a deep breath and breathe :-)

3. Jamie says:

Wow! This is gorgeous! It gives me so much inspiration for my dining room. I’m so glad I found your blog. I’m your newest follower!
    Jamie ~ Better With Age

4. Julie Jackson says:

WHat color did you paint the walls in there? LOVE the overall look!

5. Lindsey says:

WOW! Your room is absolutely gorgeous! I love all the textures and the natural color palette. Come decorate my house? :)

6. Fabulous room it all works so well together. I love the little touches you have added, like the footstool, that just makes it that bit more different and I never would have thought of overlapping two rugs like that.

7. Pingback: The Foyer Bench Makeover | House to Your Home

8. Pingback: Plans for My Home Office | House to Your Home

9. Tara says:

This room is so pretty. I HAVE to know where you found those elephants!! Do tell! ;)

10. Kerry says:

I just love your room! Had to stop over and “meet” another Indy blogger via Thrifty Decor Chick. Can’t wait to check out the rest of your site!

11. Hi! I just saw your dining room on Thrifty Decor Chick. I’m a new Indiana blogger. I am following you on Instagram and read your blog! Love the dining room. I love the green in the back of the cabinet. I have a girl I am working on a dining room for and I am hoping she goes for the pop of color and some hardware change on her older style cabinet. Love all the steals you have incorporated in there. The target, z gallerie altered curtains etc. It goes to show you can do so much without breaking the bank! Great job and excited to follow you along! We are in West Carmel! Hopefully the blog community keeps growing here!!

Laura
    House Envy

12. Anne Boykin says:

Wowzer! What a beautiful room! You did a great job with all the details. Love the moose.

13. sherry hart says:

Love the dining room…green, black and white have been on my radar lately!

14. Judy says:

Hi Laurie, just came over to your blog from Knock off decor (fall porch) and have really enjoyed reading everything, especially the post about your dining room. Fabulous! right out of AD but better. Loved everything particularly color scheme, cowhide rug and fabric on the chair seats/bench. You put the elements together perfectly. If I lived in Indianapolis I’d hire you in a heartbeat just to get your opinions and advice on decorating.

Tell me what you’re thinking!